Doors Open Days Lanarkshire 2013

Doors Open Days give you free access to lots of fascinating buildings across Lanarkshire!

When, Where & How Much...

Unfortunately, this event has now passed.

Contact Information

Visit the Doors Open Days Lanarkshire 2013 website here
Follow Doorsopendays on Twitter
Facebook information can be found here
Doors Open Days Lanarkshire 2013
About Doors Open Days Lanarkshire 2013

Every weekend in September you can explore places that are normally closed to the public. Some open up once a year, some just once in a lifetime. This is your chance to discover the heritage on your doorstep or explore a new part of the country.

Lanarkshire's Doors Open Days will be held on the 7th & 8th of September 2013.

North Lanarkshire Doors Open Days Events

Airdrie Library

This C(s) listed building, located in the Victoria and Town Centre Conservation Area, was designed by JM Arthur in 1924 and now houses Airdrie Public Library. The site and building were largely funded by Andrew Carnegie and Airdrie Savings Bank. The twin doric columns emphasise the entrance and provide a welcoming feature. The library contains the Covenanting Standard of East Monklands from the Battle of Bothwell Brig in 1679.

Airdrie Observatory

Situated above Airdrie Library, this C(s) listed building is a unique part of Airdrie’s built heritage. Being one of only four such municipal Public Observatories in the United Kingdom, Airdrie is the smallest of the Public Observatories and it dates back to 1896.

The Observatory is located above Airdrie Public Library and is a facility owned by North Lanarkshire Council and run in partnership with Airdrie Astronomical Association. The original telescope was donated to Airdrie Library by local astronomer Doctor Reid.

In 2009 the telescope was dismantled and removed from site to allow an overhaul and extensive refurbishment to be undertaken. Additional works including installing a new Observatory dome and Library Roof were also undertaken at this time.

Albert Bartlett - Booking Essential

Albert Bartlett will open its doors for a 1 hour tour of the Factory to visitors who have booked in advance. Unfortunately visitors who have not booked a tour place in advance will not be admitted to the factory. The Tour includes a Presentation, the chance to see inside the factory (no wheelchair access in this area). A family business founded in 1948, Albert Bartlett invested £30 in an old water boiler and cast iron bath in order that he might set up a small beetroot boiling operation in Coatbridge. Albert Bartlett is now the UK's leading grower and packer of potatoes. In November 2003 they moved from their Watt Street home to a new state-of-the-art facility on Stirling Road. The site packs over 4,000 tonnes of potatoes a week and has been accredited with various environmental awards.

Antonine Wall Guided Walk to Croy and Bar Hill

In 2003 the Antonine Wall was nominated for World Heritage Status by the Government with support from Scottish Local Authorities. It became Scotland's 5th World Heritage Site in 2008 being listed as an extension of the Frontiers of the Roman Empire. It is the most northerly and westerly section of the frontier which stretches across Europe.

The Antonine Wall formed the northern defences of Antonine forts, the remaining 3 sides were also ramparts surrounded by 2 or 3 ditches. Forts contained barracks for about 500 men, administrative buildings, storerooms and workshops. The bath house was usually outside the fort to reduce the risk of fire. Antonine forts were located on Croy Hill, Bar Hill and at Westerwood and Castlecary.

A Walk to Croy Hill and Bar Hill forts to explore the Roman remains of these two important sections of the Antonine Wall World Heritage Site. Adrian Cox (Historic Scotland Cultural Resourses Advisor) will introduce the sites and outline the current work to improve access and interpretation at both. Please wear stout footwear as the tour involves walking up two relatively steep hills and bring waterproofs.

Not recommended for children under the age of 5. Not suitable for buggies. All children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

Bellshill Fire Station

A rare chance to sit in a fire engine and take a tour of the station. Community safety advice will be provided.

Tours of Fire Engines, Turn on the hoses (depending on age), Meet the Firemen and Fire Safety Talk.

Please note fire engines may be unavailable at times as this is a working station.

Boat Trips on the Gipsy Princess

The Gipsy Princess was launched at Auchinstarry in April 1990 and has seating for 20 - 24 passengers inside with a further 8 -10 outside. Initially part of the campaign to increase interest eastwards along the Canal towards Craigmarloch and beyond, she was named Gipsy Princess as a successor to the Gipsy Queen, one of the famous 'Queens' pleasure steamers which sailed out from Glasgow to Auchinstarry and Craigmarloch from the late 1800s until 1939. Over the years she has served well as a classroom boat for many hundreds of schoolchildren in addition to being available for general charter trips. Short boat trips (20-30 minutes). Sail on this scenic stretch of the Forth and Clyde Canal, hear about its history and observe the wildlife in, on and beside the water.

Coatbridge Fire Station

A rare change to sit in a fire engine and take a tour of the station. Community safety advice will also be provided.

Tours of Fire Engines, Turn on the hoses (depending on age), Meet the Firemen and Fire Safety Talk.

Please note: fire engines may be unavailable at times as this is a working station.

Fire Station will close both Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th between 13.00-14.00

Colzium Estate Heritage Walk

This event is part of the Kelvin Valley Heritage Walks programme organised by Friends of the Kelvin Valley Park Group. Walk is around 2.5 km (1.5 miles) in length with 20 m (70 feet) height surfaced paths.

Heritage Walk around Colzium Estate and Banton Loch. Surfaced paths with some slopes. Walk will last around one hour and be packed with interesting history.

Please note that all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

Colzium Estate Walled Garden Tours

This beautiful, south-facing, award winning garden is situated just above Colzium House at around 500ft above sea level and is home to many rare plants and has something to offer throughout the year. The garden brings together a unique collection of plants, shrubs and trees from all over the world.

Colzium House

Colzium House is a category B listed building which was built in 1783, and later enlarged in 1861. Much of the original building was pulled down in the late 1940s, due to dry rot, but the Victorian frontage and wings survive to form the house seen today. Colzium House forms part of the Colzium Estate which is open throughout the year. Other attractions include Colzium House Museum, a restored Scottish ice-house (c.1680) and the Colzium Walled garden.

Cumbernauld Fire Station

This purpose built fire station houses 2 frontline fire appliances and a forward control unit. 56 firefighers and 3 civilian staff man this station, covering an area of 45sqkm. A rare chance to sit in a fire engine and take a tour of the station. Community safety advice will also be provided.

Please note: fire engines may be unavailable at times as this is a working station.

Tours of Fire Engines and rescue techniques, Meet the Firemen and Fire Safety Talk.

Fire Station will close both Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th between 13.00-14.00

Cumbernauld House Park

Cumbernauld House Park is the largest town park in North Lanarkshire and one which is steeped in heritage.
Learn more about the history of North Lanarkshire's largest town park on a guided tour of Cumbernauld House Park. The tour will take you through the tremendrous history of the park, from Medieval Castles and Mary, Queen of Scots, to graded A-listed Cumbernauld House, designed by renowned Architect William Adam, and 1980 hit movie, Gregory's Girl through to the present day and the work of the Friends of Cumbernauld House Park.
Future projects planned for Cumbernauld House Park include an outdoor gym, construction of a new path network, and a community excavation of Cumbernauld.

Cumbernauld Museum

Situated within the town's main library, the museum tells the story of Cumbernauld and surrounding area from pre-history to the Romans and on through the 19th century, to the development of the new town in the 1960s. Term-time school workshops and holiday activities regularly take place. For further information please contact 01236 638352.

Drumpellier Glasshouse Plant Nursery - Booking Advisable

The New Plant Nursery Complex was opened on 19th August 1989, in Drumpellier Country Park. The Nursery has the capacity of growing 927 square metres of plants under cover. It arranges floral decorations for all Council events, produces the summer and winter plant containers as well as supplying the bedding and perennial plants for various site throughout North Lanarkshire.

The Nursery has been a popular tourist attraction over the years seeing various tropical plants and seasonal displays, with ornamental gardens such as the house garden and peace garden.

Gardening Classes will run from 12 pm - 1pm and 2pm - 3pm. Booking is advisable. The booking line will open on 26 August 2013.

Finish Timing Tower - Booking Essential

Built in 1985 by John Payne for the 1986 Edinburgh Commonwealth Games. Located on Strathclyde Loch at the Watersports Centre, the Finish Tower is the control centre for the timing of rowing regattas at Strathclyde Park. Enjoy the great views over the park plus lots of information on how the finishing cameras work and how cumputerised rase schedules are managed in this international rowing and sailing venue plus get to press the race finish line buzzer.

BOOKING ESSENTIAL - BOOKING LINES WILL OPEN ON 26 AUGUST 2013

Tours will include the press and media areas and the control room for computerised timing.

Tour times: 10.30, 11.15, 12.15, 14.00 & 15.00(maximum of 10 per group)

Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

No wheelchair access to the Finish Tower due to steep stairs.

Kildrum Parish Church

This B listed church is a striking landmark in the New Town of Cumbernauld. Built by Alan Relach and Stuart Renton (1960-62), this square-plan church was influenced by Scandinavian designs and designed to emphasise light with the use of high level windows.

Kilsyth Burns and Old Parish Church

Kilsyth Burns and Old Churches have a rich and interesting history leading to the unification of the Old Parish and Burns Church to form the Burns and Old Church in 1975. The Church was built in 1816 with the Chancel being built in 1932.

Come and view the stained glass windows. History Corner, music, and tea and coffee available. Sunday Service 11.00-12.00 all welcome.

Kirk O' Shotts Church

Famed landmark building, known as the 'M8 Church'. Sits high on hill to immediate south of M8 Glasgow-Edinburgh motorway at its highest point between the two cities.

It is a fine example of a James Gillespie Graham parish church built in 1820 and was further renovated by James Brash in 1871. This B listed Church has recently been redecorated and is well worth seeing.

Lanarkshire Central Mosque

Lanarkshire Muslim Welfare Society was established through the efforts of five local businessmen in 1980. In 1997 the Society located a site and started taking donations for the construction of a new Mosque. After 8 years the Mosque opened in 2005 at a cost of over £2 million.

Lanarkshire Family History Society - Booking Essential for Talk

The centre has Microfilm Viewers, PC with internet access, a large selection of Lanarkshire/Glasgow Maps from 1856, many records and files which are of use in compiling your family tree. There is also a growing Reference Library of books relating to Genealogy and Local History. The Centre holds records and information on 37 Lanarkshire Parishes in North and South Lanarkshire. The society is run entirely by volunteers who give their time to help others in this detective game.
Start Your Family Tree Talks at 13.30-14-30 on both Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th - BOOKING ESSENTIAL - to reserve a place e-mail secretary-lanarkshirefhs@hotmail.co.uk

Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult.

Masonic Hall, Chryston

Lodge Cadder Argyle 147, now in its 242st year, was founded in Chryston and used several premises in the village before building the Masonic Hall in 1913. Total building costs were £876 7.6d (£876.371/2p). The Lodge is very active and raises thousands of pounds each year for local and national charities. On Saturday the 6 June 2013, 100 years exactly to the day the new building was dedicated, an impressive number of Free masons from all over Scotland attended a re-dedication Services carried out by member of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Dunbartonshire.

Motherwell Fire Station

A rare chance to sit in a fire engine and take a tour of the station. Community safety advice will also be provided.

Please note that this is a working firestation and fire engines may be unavailable at times.

This fire station will close on both Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th between 13.00-14.00.

New St Andrew’s Parish Church

New St Andrew’s Parish Church, Coatbridge was formed on 28 October 2008 by the union of Clifton Parish Church and St Andrew’s Parish Church. The new united congregation meets in the former St Andrew’s building which is a listed building.

New Wellwynd Parish Church

New Wellwynd was built in 1834 as the first Church of Scotland in Airdrie. The C listed church contains fine stained glass windows and has a superb three manual organ built by JJ Binns

The Church is opened September to June every Friday from 10.00 to 12.00 noon.

North Lanarkshire Council - Bellshill Complex

North Lanarkshire Council's Bellshill Complex houses Transport Waste Management and Land Management. Transport activities include a MOT workshop, refulling and parking for some of the Council vehicles.

North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre

This four star visitor attraction opened in 1996 and is a striking example of modern architecture by Andrew Merrylees, Grierson and Robertson. North Lanarkshire Heritage Centre showcases the Council's museums collections through a changing exhibition programme, houses North Lanarkshire's archives and records service and part of the council's local and family history service, provides gallery space for community and arts displays, and is a venue for school and children's workshops.

Palacerigg Millennium Longhouses and Animal House - Booking Essential

The Longhouses were designed and built by Charles Guilland and opened in 1998. The Longhouses are constructed from sustainable resource of home grown timber. Conifer thinnings are bent while green/fresh to form pre-stressed timber frames which are then assembled on site.

Resource Efficient House - Booking Essential

Delivered as part of the Scottish Government funded Resource Efficient Scotland programme, the Resource Efficient House has been constructed by Zero Waste Scotland in partnership with development company, Tigh Grian Limited. The Resource Efficient House features at the BRE Innovation Park at Ravenscraig, North Lanarkshire, and is part of the Energy Saving Trust’s Green Network for Businesses. The aim of the project has been to reveal how resource efficiency measures can be included in the design, construction and deconstruction of a new home. It has also been possible to show how a strong focus on resource efficiency can contribute to a resource efficient lifestyle for occupants.

Sir John Wilson Town Hall

Built in 1912 the Sir John Wilson Town Hall is a Category B Listed Building. The building is a fine example of an early 20th century town hall, notable for its Baroque detailing to principal elevation and richly decorated interior, reflecting the generosity of its budget. £10000 of its building cost was gifted by Sir John Wilson, then owner of the Airdrie estate, businessman and MP. Airdrie-born architect John Thomson won the commission in an open competition against George Arthur and Andrew Aitken. He died the year the building was completed. The building employs a steel lattice girder frame by William Baird and Son Ltd of Glasgow (not to be confused with prominent 19th century iron and coal manufacturer, William Baird and Company). Steelwork frames of this type became widely used in industrial building from the 1860s onwards and were increasingly adopted for civic and municipal architecture in the early years of the 20th century. This traditional style town hall comprises of a large and a lesser hall. The large hall has a main hall and balcony. Seating 660 for a concert/conference. The main hall is also used for wedding and dinner dances. The lesser hall is situated on the upper level of the facility (this is not accessible to disabled patrons) and has a capacity of 110. The Airdrie Town Hall is used for both professional and amateur/community based events.

St Patrick's RC Church

A fine contemporary example of ecclesiastical architecture by Gillespie, Coia and Kidd (1965). The design of this A listed building makes excellent use of space and light.

St Paul & St John's the Evangelist Episc'l Church

This C(s) listed building is a good example of an arts and crafts gothic style church. It was designed by HD Walton in 1897 and is currently in full ecclesiastical use. The foundation stone was laid in 1898 for St Pauls in Airdrie though the Church community now includes the Churches of St Johns of Coatbridge and St Andrews of Gartcosh.

Summerlee Museum of Scottish Industrial Life

Summerlee, the museum of Scottish Industrial Life reopened in September 2008, following a major £10 million redevelopment. The main exhibition hall was completely stripped out and refitted.

The new hall now provides a modern and environmentally sustainable setting for some of Scotland's most important displays of social and industrial history, including many 'star' items from the collection unseen by the public.

Much of the Museum’s collection of industrial machinery is in working condition and the interactive displays gives 'hands on' experience allowing visitors to explore their industrial heritage in a new and exciting way.

South Lanarkshire Doors Open Days Events

Bent Cemetery

Bent Cemetery is the last resting place of Lord Hamilton (d 1479); the 1st Marquess of Hamilton and the 8th, 9th and 10th Dukes of Hamilton and their families. Other notable occupants include entertainer Sir Harry Lauder and footballer Davie Cooper

Chatelherault Hunting Lodge

Built in the 1730s by William Adam as a decorative feature in the grand design of the Hamilton Estates landscape, Chatelherault comprises four main pavilion buildings with linking walls. The western pavilion features fine Georgian plasterwork and woodcarvings. These rooms were used by the Duke and Duchess for entertaining hunting parties.

Corehouse

The estate was established in the 14th century and remains in private ownership. Corehouse was built in 1824-27 by Edward Blore of London, who also worked on Buckingham Palace. It is considered the pioneer house in Scotland of Tudor Revival domestic architecture.

Corehouse has a pictureque profile with many shafted chimney stacks and carefully contrived massing so as to appear to have evolved in an unplanned manner. The interior is well conserved and is focused on a lantern stair tower.

Close to the house is Corra Castle built in the 15th century.

Guided tours limited numbers 15 - 20, allocated on first come basis.

Crawfordjohn Church

This Parish Church dates from 1817 and is situated on a raised circular mound, indicating that this was once a religious site dating back to the 12th century. The village of Crawfordjohn was established in the 12th century by John, stepson of Baldwin, a Flemish Lord from Biggar.

Douglas Heritage Museum

The Museum building, originally the Dower House of Douglas Castle, is situated adjacent to the ancient St Brides Church. It houses six stained glass windows depicting coats of arms of the Douglas Earls.

East Kilbride Community Fire Station

Please note that this is an operational Fire Station therefore crews and engines may not be available.

East Kilbride Old Parish Church

The Church was built in 1776 by James Pollock (with additions in 1818 by Robert Pollock and 1862 by W Pomphrey). The original church cost £570 and is modelled on Shettleston Parish Kirk. In 1818 a steeple was added, this is an unusual and highly distinctive feature for a Parish Church; the most famous example of this being St Giles High Kirk in Edinburgh.

Falls of Clyde

The majestic Falls of Clyde Wildlife Reserve sits at the gateway to the Clyde Valley Woodlands. It boasts an inspirational landscape of three dramatic waterfalls, beautiful ancient woodlands and abundant wildlife, all within easy walking distance.

Visit the exciting Falls of Clyde visitor centre located within New Lanark with lots of hands on activities for children.

Gladstone Court Museum

At Gladstone Court Museum you can stroll through streets from the past and visit small shops and business premises including a chemist, cobbler, grocer, ironmonger, bank, schoolroom and printer's.

Green Home (Biomass Pellet Boiler and Solar PV)

Part of the Energy Saving Trust Green Homes Network. Please contact Jacqueline Mackenzie to book a time slot - 0141 3033131, email Jacqueline_mackenzie@thewisegroup.co.uk

Greenhill Covenanters House

Biggar Museum Trust rescued this 17th century farmhouse from its original site at Wiston. They rebuilt and refurbished it in the Burn Braes in 1975.

Hamilton Grammar School

Celebrating 100 years of learning in the building on Auchincampbell Road. Visit www.hamilton.s-lanark.sch.uk for more information.

Hamilton Mausoleum

The Mausoleum was built at a cost of about £33,000 (£1.2 million today) for Alexander, 10th Duke of Hamilton (1767 – 1852) as a chapel and family tomb. The first funeral service held there, Alexander’s own, was marred by the long echo, now one of the Mausoleum’s best loved features. David Hamilton (1768 – 1843) began work in the Mausoleum in 1840, but did not live to see it completed. David Bryce and Alexander Handyside Ritchie completed the work between 1848 and 1858 after Duke Alexander’s death.

This Roman style structure is described as “an extraordinary work of architectural sculpture rather than a building”.

Hamilton Old Parish Church

One of Hamilton’s oldest buildings, the Old Parish Church of Hamilton was designed on classical Italian lines by the famous architect William Adam. Building began in 1732 and it took two years to complete being first used for worship in 1734.

Hamilton Sheriff Court

This landmark A listed building is of classical design with iconic porticos towards Almada Street and Beckford Street.

Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway

Britain’s highest adhesion railway, reaching 1498 feet above sea level, the railway was built in 1900 for the Caledonian Railway Company for transporting refined lead to the central belt of Scotland. The lead mines closed in the late 1930’s.

Leadhills Miner's Library

Founded in 1741 Leadhills Miners Library is the world's oldest working-class subscription library. Containing 3,000 of some of the rarest books in Scotland, the library is recognised as being of national importance.

As well as its book collection, the library holds the records of the Scots Mining Co from the 1730s to the 1850s in 42 volumes. The library also contains an impressive collection of letters, documents and photographs that combine to tell the history of Leadhills and its people.

Low Parks Museum

The museum incorporates structures from the 17th to the 21st centuries and two grade A listed buildings. This is the oldest surviving building within Hamilton Burgh's former boundaries.

Moat Park Heritage Centre

Here in the Moat Park Heritage Centre you will find models of Clydesdale’s past from geological times to the present. Among other colourful characters from history you will encounter an Iron Age family and one of the invading Roman soldiers in Scotland from around 1,900 years ago.

Visit our new archeology exhibition and learn all about eh reindeer hunters. Take the children to see our new fun discovery area with dressing up, toys from the past, a mystery box and many other enjoyable activities. Other models and tableau hive in the natural history section. See the unique ‘Menzies Moffat’ patchwork, the largest in the UK along with photographs and memorabilia of bygone days.

New Lanark

he New Lanark World Heritage Site is an unrivalled combination of an 18th century industrial settlement set in the dramatic landscape of the Clyde gorge.

The site is associated with Robert Owen (1771 – 1858) and his influential social developments which created a model for industrial communities that spread across the world. It promoted the establishment of progressive education, factory reform, humane working practices, co-operative activities and garden cities. All of this was based around Richard Arkwright’s (1732 – 1792) and David Dale’s (1739 – 1806) revolutionary new factory system for textile production which harnessed the water power of the Clyde and established New Lanark.

The New Lanark Trust was formed in 1974 as an independent registered charity to bring the mill village of New Lanark back to life after lying in a derelict state.

Pettinain Church

This church sits prominently on a hilltop reputed to have been a focus of Christian worship for more than 900 years. The present building dates from late 17th - early 18th century incorporating a belfry dated 1692 and a bell dated 1695.

Rutherglen Old Parish Church

Rutherglen Old Parish Church had been a site of Christian worship for almost 1400 years. The present church designed by JJ Burnet between 1900 – 1902, being the fourth built here.

Scots Mining Company House (Gardens)

In 1734 the Scots Mining Company built a house at Leadhills for their agent and manager, James Stirling. The House was designed by William Adam, one of a family of architects, and whose great achievement is Hopetoun House.

The house at Leadhills is probably the only survivning small house that William Adam built. The wooded areas have never been altered or "improved".

St Andrew's Parish Church

Built in 1799 to a Henry Bell design with porch and apse added around 1890. Features organ by H Willis and Sons (1903), stained glass window by Gordon McWhirter Webster (1932) and pulpit fall and companion communion table runner by Marilyn E W McGregor DA (1999). Memorial garden, the Garden of Hope (2001). Incorporates two features from the pre-reformation building it replaced, the tower of which remains as a monument at the foot of the town.

Within the church are an organ made by H Willis and Sons and installed in 1903, stained glass windows, including one made by Gordon McWhirter Webster in 1932, and a pulpit fall and companion communion table runner by Marilyn E W McGregor DA (1999). A Memorial garden, the Garden of Hope, was completed in 2001.

The church building incorporates two features from the building it replaced - an arch inside the porch and a window with slender fluted pillars in the front of the tower.

St Bride's RC Church

This Church was built between 1963-1964 by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia to a radical modernist design.

While we take every opportunity to ensure the details for Doors Open Days Lanarkshire 2013 are accurate, we always advise that you contact the event organiser before setting out for the event to avoid disapointment.

Other Similar Events

Dobbies Clyde Valley Santas Grotto Dobbies Clyde Valley Santas Grotto
17 Nov 2014 - 24 Dec 2014
Filled with magic, excitement and an enchanting atmosphere, Santa's Grotto at Dobbies Clyde Valley is a very merry must!
Dobbies Cumbernauld Santas Grotto Dobbies Cumbernauld Santas Grotto
17 Nov 2014 - 24 Dec 2014
Filled with magic, excitement and an enchanting atmosphere, Santa's Grotto at Dobbies Cumbernauld is a very merry must!
M&Ds Santas Magical Wonderland M&Ds Santas Magical Wonderland
21 Nov 2014 - 24 Dec 2014
Santas Magical Wonderland returns to M&Ds Theme Park for 2014 - it's festive fun for all the family!