Article Source: Book Week Scotland
First Published: 15 November 2021 10:52
Updated: 15 November 2021 10:52
Scottish Book Trust, the national charity that runs Book Week Scotland, has worked closely with partners to provide both online and in person events centred around this year’s theme of ‘celebration’ including an interactive reading map to reveal the nation’s reading habits.
Philippa Cochrane, Head of Reading Communities at Scottish Book Trust, said: “It is so exciting to be celebrating the 10th Book Week Scotland. Over the last decade Book Week Scotland has grown to become a joyful, inclusive week in Scotland’s book calendar. Once again Book Week Scotland is delivered with fantastic partners – libraries, community organisations, charities, schools and many more – across the country and offers a riotous collection of events and activities. We hope everyone in Scotland feels welcomed to the party and celebrates Book Week Scotland’s 10th anniversary by reading, gifting, discussing and celebrating the books they love.”
The new Reading Map of Scotland, designed to capture and share what the nation is reading now, is live from Monday 15 November. Members of the public are encouraged to plot their location and current book of choice on the interactive map via Scottish Book Trust’s website.
Book Week Scotland will also launch #ILoveMyLibrary, a week-long social media campaign in support of libraries, encouraging the public to join in and share their memories of their favourite or local library. Top authors in Scotland will also take part, celebrating the library they most treasure. The memories and anecdotes will be displayed on a dedicated social wall on Scottish Book Trust’s website.
For music lovers, there’s the opportunity to create a playlist poem using song titles. Poet Nadine Aisha Jassat and author Harry Josephine Giles have contributed their own #BookWeekScotlandPlaylistPoem, which can be viewed here.
50,000 free copies of a new book, Celebration, which includes real life stories from people around the country, will be available from libraries and other community venues during Book Week Scotland. The book includes 22 stories selected by a panel, plus commissioned pieces from Courtney Stoddart, Elle McNicoll, Eòghan Stewart, Mòrag Law and Ross Sayers.
Event highlights of Book Week Scotland include:
• Award-winning author Denise Mina kicks off the celebrations at Glasgow Women’s Library, where she filmed a new documentary: The Women Writers of Garnethill with tour guide Melody House. The film explores the contribution women writers have made to the area, and the city of Glasgow. It will premiere on YouTube on Monday 15 November at 12.30pm.
• On Monday evening, for those who wish to join Book Week Scotland from the comfort of their own homes, there will be a downloadable role-playing game written by visual artist Adrian Barber. A star-studded line-up will play through the game, featuring: Marvel comic writer Kieron Gillen; bestselling author Val McDermid; DC Comics writer Ram V; Marvel comic writer and bestselling novelist Marjorie Liu; and award-winning comic artist and author Hari Conner.
• On Wednesday 17 November at 12.30pm, Book Week Scotland will premiere a new documentary with former Makar Jackie Kay on her first novel, Trumpet. The film will offer exclusive insight to the inspiration and writing of the bestselling book.
• On Thursday 18 November at 11am, there will be an Authors Live event: a panel on Young Scottish Voices featuring Nadine Aisha Jassat, Chris McQueer and Cat Hepburn. They will showcase their writing and share how young people can use their own voices and experiences in writing and storytelling.
• On Thursday evening, the Damian Barr Literary Salon will team up with Book Week Scotland to bring an unmissable event starring Baggage author Alan Cumming in conversation with Damian Barr, and poetry performances from the ascendant talents of Lennie Pennie and Courtney Stoddart. The event will run online Thursday 18 November at 7pm and tickets are available to buy here.
• In the year of Scottish coastlines and waterways, Harry Josephine Giles, Evie Wyld and Raman Mundair will join Book Week Scotland for a Celebrating Island Literature panel, chaired by Pàdraig MacAoidh. The event will premiere on Saturday 20 November at 4pm on YouTube.
The full Book Week Scotland programme can be viewed here.
British sign language and closed captions will be available for all the panel events.
Great Scottish Run have announced their Greatest Black Friday deal and this is one you don't want to miss!
Today, organisers of Out East Festival have announced the musical line-up for 2022’s family-friendly extravaganza in Dalkeith Country Park.
The organisers of the French Film Festival UK are delighted to reveal an exciting new edition of the online programme which will run from Friday 3rd to Sunday 12th December.
Entries are now open to junior teams across Scotland to win the chance to be put through their paces by Scotland international Hamish Watson at DAM Health Stadium in 2022.
After last year's postponement, Scotland's biggest pantomime is back, and to celebrate, the city's newest hotel Maldron Hotel Glasgow City, has announced a special Theatre package offer!
DF Concerts & Events have announced an exciting new addition to the festival calendar - Connect, which will take place between 26th-28th August 2022!
The winner of Aldi's Supermarket Sweep in Rutherglen has raised an amazing £931.32 for a local foodbank, while picking up over £465 in Aldi favourites for herself.
The IRN-BRU Carnival celebrates its return to the SEC with one month to go until doors open on Europe's largest indoor funfair!
Quarriers is appealing for donations to help homeless young people across Scotland to receive a gift over the festive period.
Dobbies' Style Expert, Rebecca Stanton, will host a free virtual event to get customers in the festive spirit with a Christmas Your Way live decoration demonstration.
Five Carnival super fans will get unlimited access to the biggest show in town!
The Edinburgh Playhouse in coordination with The Walt Disney Company UK has today announced that the award-winning musical THE LION KING will roar back into Edinburgh next summer.
A NEW campaign encouraging people across Scotland to experience a Great Day Out across the country this winter by taking advantage of a 50% discount offer has been launched by VisitScotland.
Dobbies, the UK's leading garden centre, is inviting shoppers across Scotland to join them for extended shopping hours to raise funds for Teenage Cancer Trust.
Cumbernauld Theatre Trust is delighted to announce details of not one, but two festive productions this year as they welcome our audiences into their new venue, Lanternhouse!
Hamilton (BID) Our Town is delighted to bring to you five dates of festive fun over Christmas starting with our Light Switch on Market this Saturday the 20th on Quarry Street!
Book Week Scotland kicks off today, marking the tenth anniversary of the country-wide celebration of reading and writing!
Runrig have announced the official Facebook watch party of their newly released music documentary There Must Be A Place.
Dobbies has teamed up with the National Trust for Scotland, to give listeners the inside track on what it takes to maintain its 38 beautiful gardens all year round.
Ring the bells and summon the brides and grooms to be, the Scottish Wedding Show is back with tickets on sale for Scotland's largest wedding showcase on sale now!
Scotland's largest caravan, motorhome and holiday home exhibition is back, returning to the SEC, Glasgow from 3-6 February 2022.
In the festive spirit of giving, Dobbies has launched a new campaign to share some joy in the run up to Christmas.
Scotland's original Drive-in returns this Christmas, with your favourite festive classics and two brand new movies!
Scottish luxury ice-cream maker, Equi's, unveils irresistible limited edition Tequila Rose Strawberry ice cream in an exclusive collaboration for Scotland!
Kiltwalkers will have the chance to put their best foot forward for the charities of their choice next year as the event makes its full physical return across the country!
The recent Beat the Street challenge has come to an end across the towns of Motherwell, Bellshill, Wishaw and Shotts!
The Beat the Street Cambuslang and Rutherglen challenge has come to an incredible conclusion after the game came to an end at 7pm on 27th October.
Aldi's hugely popular Supermarket Sweep has returned and customers in Rutherglen are being given the opportunity to 'go wild in the aisles' and raise money for a local foodbank!
After six years presenting on Sunday morning breakfast together, Ewen and Cat will be handing over their early Sunday mornings to their mate Greigsy, in trade for a well-deserved lie-in.
The winner of Scotland’s national music prize, The Scottish Album of the Year (SAY) Award, was announced as Mogwai – ‘As The Love Continues’ at a stunning award ceremony in Edinburgh’s Usher