In collaboration with the fantastic team at New Lanark, the UNESCO Chair in Refugee Integration through Languages and the Arts at the University of Glasgow have curated an eye-watering programme full of delights for the whole family. Come and join them on 16 November to learn more about migration and sharing spaces through film, theatre, workshops, music and discovery activities!
The full programme can be viewed here: bit.ly/SSMPP_prog
You can book your tickets here: newlanark.digitickets.co.uk/tickets
- Dr Stephen Mullen (University of Glasgow) - Remembering Atlantic Slavery at New Lanark
- Dr Julie McAdam (University of Glasgow - Unpacking the Suitcase of Stories
- Maaike Siegerist - Original storytelling songs about migration, travels and remarkable people
- Julie Ward - Designs for a Common Room
- The Welcome Hut - A pop-up vehicle-in-residence
- Erin Turner and Jess Shaw from the Scottish Crannog Centre - Remembering Food and Stories
- Dr Hyab Yohannes & Prof Alison Phipps - Eritrean coffee ceremony
- Dr Joseph Zhao, Mr Dongwei Wang & Dr Siqi Zhang - Chinese heritage in multi-spaces of multicultural Scotland
- pupils from Newark Primary’s Anti-Racism Group & Katie D’Souza - Stop Racism: We are all special
- World Spirit Theatre - Migration and Theatre: Wheel of Fortune
- Dr Azadeh Fatehrad & Dr Davide Natalini - Common Ground: Stories of Shared Spaces in the UK
- Dr Alison Mayne and Dr Sarah Stewart - This is how we felt: A wet felting workshop about being together
- Plus the extraordinary spaces of New Lanark to explore all day.
Lunch, tea and coffee will be provided to registered participants!
*Background to the event*
This unique event has been organised by New Lanark and the UNESCO Chair in Refugee Integration through Languages and the Arts (UNESCO RILA) at the University of Glasgow. This event is part of series of creative responses to the 14 place-based UNESCO designations in Scotland - an initiative that aims to increase understanding of these places, of their significance in both past and present, through artistic means, place-based learning and discussions with those who live and work on and near those sites.
These responses sit alongside and complements the world’s first UNESCO Trail, developed through a unique partnership between VisitScotland, the Scottish Government, the UK National Commission for UNESCO, Historic Environment Scotland, NatureScot, the National Trust for Scotland and Scotland’s then 13 UNESCO designations, launched in October 2021.
The initiative also informs the Sites Unseen project, led by UNESCO RILA, which works to create 14 digital learning packs for use in schools and community education settings and which explore Scotland’s cultural and linguistic diversity, as well as help learners develop a more nuanced and reflective understanding of the place they live in.
This nonference is starting point for all these discussions, bringing together people of all ages and from all walks of life, to share space together for a day, to connect and to learn from each other. For more information, please contact email@example.com
Where possible we will update our listings to notify of cancelled, postponed and rescheduled events, however we STRONGLY ADVISE that you check with the venue/organiser in the first instance for updates.All information (whether in text or photographs) is supplied in good faith but should not be relied upon as being a statement of representation or fact.
GOT AN EVENT TO SHARE? It's free to post your events on What's On Lanarkshire, click here to find out more!Want to be the first to hear about what's happening in Lanarkshire? Just hit 'Like' on our Facebook page, join the What's On Scotland Facebook Group and 'Follow' on our Twitter account and you're all set!
Pain Association Scotland run professionally-led monthly groups across Lanarkshire for people living with all forms of chronic pain.READ MORE
Join Celtic Legends John Hartson and Chris Sutton at The Town House on Friday 3rd May as they share their stories from their time at the club!READ MORE
Go Radio | Number 1 for Glasgow & The West - Listen on DAB, Online or on your Smart Speaker, just say "Launch Go Radio"